Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Upcoming weekend trip: Germany

The weather is always unpredictable here, although you can predict that it will be 95% rainy, cold and cloudy with a slight chance of sunshine. We had about five days of good weather, although it went from 20C to unbearably hot (32C+) and the cool change is welcome.

However, it is still summer and even though we spent a week and a half in the south of France not long ago, I'm not ready to wave it goodbye yet, despite what Holland thinks.
Thankfully I have a trip coming up this weekend which will remind me that summer is still ALIVE in other parts of Europe- I'm going to visit a very good friend of mine in Germany. She lives in Nuremberg which is a really pretty and old historic city.
It's got some interesting history -random facts I remember are:
-The Nuremberg trials were held there which is where the German officials were held accountable for the holocaust and war crimes when WW2 ended.
-Back in the old days of the Roman Empire it was considered an unofficial capital because the castle was used for court meetings.
Street shot in Nuremberg- I must have been walking pretty fast it's a bit crooked..


Castle side shot






The castle is big and impressing and has beautiful grounds. We did some sightseeing the last time we were there but this time it's more of  a catch up trip, so I'll probably not do much sightseeing but I will be wearing skirts and sandals and short sleeve tops outside; ie. get to experience summer for two days!

I have to do something with all those clothes I brought over from Australia.

I will also try to take some better photos. Sometimes I enjoy these kind of visits the most- where there is no pressure to run around and see all the main tourist attractions in two days, and just enjoy time with local people who live there and happen to be our friends. It also helps a lot when you don't speak German, yet I somehow end up learning more German in two days than I have Dutch in 1.5 years, but that's another story.



No comments:

Post a Comment